Fresno

Eating wild mushrooms can be deadly

The wild poisonous muschroom Amanita ocreata, also known as the “destroying angel,” have been linked to cause liver damage. Can be deadly if eaten.
The wild poisonous muschroom Amanita ocreata, also known as the “destroying angel,” have been linked to cause liver damage. Can be deadly if eaten. Special to Vida en el Valle

While California welcomes any rains in the state after the recent record drought, seasonal rains have promoted the growth of wild mushrooms, that according to the California Department of Public Health, can be deadly if consumed by the public.

State health officials are reminding people that eating wild mushrooms can cause serious illness and even death.

“Telling the difference between wild mushrooms that are safe and those that are poisonous can be difficult for many people,” said Dr. Karen Smith, CDPH director and state public health officer. “Wild mushrooms should not be eaten unless they have been examined by a mushroom expert and determined to be edible.”

Telling the difference between wild mushrooms that are safe and those that are poisonous can be difficult for many people.

Dr. Karen Smith, CDPH director and public health officer

According to the department, the most serious illnesses and deaths have been linked primarily to wild mushrooms known to cause liver damage, including Amanita phalloides, also known as the “death cap” and Amanita ocreata, or “destroying angel.”

Officials said that a bloom of Amanita phalloides last winter resulted in 14 mushroom poisonings in the state that required hospitalization and three of those cases required a liver transplant.

The California Poison Control System said 1,038 cases of poisonous mushroom ingestion were reported throughout the state from November 2016 to Jan. 15, 2018.

Among those cases, 16 people suffered a major health outcome, such as liver failure leading to coma and/or a liver transplant, or kidney failure requiring dialysis.

Another 51 people suffered a moderate health outcome, such as dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhea, or injury to the liver or kidney while 433 people were children younger than six years of age, who usually ate a small amount of a mushroom growing in yards or neighborhood parks.

Some 522 people were treated at a health care facility while 16 were admitted to an intensive care unit.

CDPH said eating poisonous mushrooms can lead to abdominal pain, cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, liver damage or death. Adding that if people develops symptoms after eating wild mushrooms, they should seek immediate medical attention.

People who develop these symptoms, or their treating health care providers, should immediately contact CPCS at (800) 222-1222.

WILD MUSHROOM B
The wild poisonous muschroom Amanita phalloides, also known as the “death cap,” have been linked to cause liver damage. Can be deadly if eaten. Trent Pearce, Tilden Nature Area Special to Vida en el Valle

Comer hongos silvestres puede ser fatal

Aunque California le da la bienvenida a cualquier lluvia en el estado después de la reciente sequía récord, las lluvias de temporada han promovido el crecimiento de hongos silvestres, lo cual, de acuerdo con el Departamento de Salud Pública de California, puede ser fatal si la gente los consume.

Los funcionarios de salud del estado están recordándole a la gente que el comer hongos silvestres puede causar enfermedades serias y hasta la muerte.

“El saber la diferencia entre los hongos silvestres que son seguros para comer y los que son peligrosos es algo que puede ser difícil para mucha gente,” dijo la Dra. Karen Smith, directora de CDPH y funcionaria de salud pública. “Los hongos silvestres no deberían de consumirse a menos que hayan sido examinados por un experto en hongos y se haya determinado que son comestibles.”

De acuerdo al departamento, las enfermedades más serias y las muertes que ha habido, tienen relación con hongos silvestres que se sabe causan daño al hígado, incluyendo Amanita phalloides, también conocidos como “tapa mortal” y Amanita ocreata, o “Ángel destructor.”

Los funcionarios dicen que un brote de Amanita phalloides el pasado invierno resultó en 14 envenenamientos por hongos en el estado y las personas necesitaron de hospitalización y tres de esos casos resultaron en necesidad de trasplante de hígado.

El Sistema de Control de Venenos de California, dijo que se reportaron 1,038 casos de ingestión de hongos venenosos en todo el estado, desde noviembre 2016 hasta el 15 de enero de 2018.

Entre esos casos, 16 personas sufrieron consecuencias de salud mayores, como falla del hígado resultando en coma y/o un trasplante de hígado, o falla renal, para lo cual es necesario la diálisis.

Otras 51 personas sufrieron de consecuencias de salud moderadas, como deshidratación debido al vómito y la diarrea, o lesión en el hígado o el riñón, mientras que 433 personas eran niños menores de seis años, quienes por lo regular comieron una pequeña porción de un hongo que crecía en jardines o en parques de vecindario.

Algunas 522 personas recibieron atención médica en lugares de cuidado médico, mientras que 16 fueron admitidas a la unidad de cuidado intensivo.

El CDPH dijo que comer los hongos venenosos puede ocasionar dolor abdominal, cólicos, vómito, diarrea, daño al hígado o muerte. Añadiendo que, si la gente desarrolla síntomas después de comer hongos, deben de buscar atención médica de inmediato.

La gente que desarrolla estos síntomas, o el personal médico que los atiende, deben de comunicarse de inmediato al (800) 222-1222.

María G. Ortiz-Briones: 559-441-6782, @TuValleTuSalud

  Comments